Principal/Senior Mechanical Engineer (Building Services)
We are currently looking for a Principal/Senior Mechanical Engineer in Building Services Engineering with 5 years plus experience working in a professional services environment
Frankham Group is a multi-disciplinary construction consultancy with 40 years of experience, providing a full range of design, engineering and consultancy services to the built environment.
When you join Frankham we will help you develop your know-how and apply your skills so that you achieve your full potential. Our investment in training and your professional development, combined with the support and coaching from Frankham team members will help you learn and grow.
Our people are practical, friendly and are passionate about what they do. We believe in enjoying our work, going beyond expectations, and having fun in doing so.
Our belief is simple: use intelligent ideas to create human benefits.
To act as lead representative for Building Services Engineering on delegated projects, taking responsibility for workload delivery of those delegated projects and reports under their control, aiding the Line Manager to undertake day to day monitoring and support/mentoring of the M&E team, reporting back any issues/anomalies to the appropriate Assistant Manager(s) at the earliest opportunity.
- To act as Lead Consultant/Lead Designer/Lead Engineer/Mechanical Engineer as required on delegated projects.
- Control and monitor all work of their own/their reports are delivered within the timescale, cost budget and quality parameters set and agreed with the Line Manager and that time is accurately recorded against projects. Notify the Line Manager of any changes (anticipated or current) at the earliest opportunity.
- To produce regular reports to the Line Manager in respect of project delivery against agreed timescales, cost budget and quality parameters.
- Understand and implement the group Project/Design/Change Control/Client Management processes on delegated projects. Report any non-compliances to the Line Manager at the earliest opportunity.
- Carry out detailed surveys of Mechanical plant, services and equipment to establish the extent of the existing installation and gain enough information to complete design and to coordinate and report findings to others as required.
- Review and verification of detailed survey information of Mechanical plant, services and equipment to confirm the extent of the existing installation and ensure sufficient information is available to complete the design or meet the Client’s brief as required.
- Production and coordination of drawings, designs, Information Models, specifications, feasibilities, technical reports, tender documentation and tender reports for all aspects of Mechanical services. Checking of all above documents produced by others. Assistance and advice on all aspects of energy consumption and utilisation and identify recommendations to improve energy performance. Preparation of design calculations including building physics modelling utilising approved software tools such as TAS, IES, Cymap, Amtech, Dialux, Relux and Hevacomp.
- Have a working knowledge of BIM Level 2 processes, including BS 1192 and PAS1192:2 and be able to implement these processes on delegated projects.
- Contract Management, Contract administration, project management, site attendance, witnessing commissioning, defects inspections and monitoring of projects to ensure compliance with the Client’s brief, cost constraints and programme. Investigate and diagnose faults or malfunctions of plant, services and equipment as requested.
- To ensure that the financial control of a contract is being maintained within the Client’s budget with the assistance of the Quantity Surveyors where appointed.
- Ensure compliance with the Construction (Design and Management) and other relevant Health & Safety Regulations for all aspects of delegated projects.
- Develop/maintain relationships with, influence and coordinate with members of other teams within Frankham Consultancy Group Ltd, Clients, Contractors and Stakeholders etc.
- Ensure project work meets all relevant technical and professional standards on a consistent basis.
- Proactively promote and carry out the client pledge with customers to ensure timely payment of invoices in collaboration with the Commercial Administrator.
- Where delegated by the Line Manager ensure that written Letters of Instruction and signed Terms & Conditions are agreed with the Client and held on record.
- Work with the Line Manager, Associate Director and the Marketing & Business Development teams to prepare and submit high quality and competitive PQQs and Fee Bids. Produce website news, case studies and other marketing content for all projects.
- To work closely with and aid the Line Manager and Associate Director in the development of new business opportunities and repeat business.
- Support the Line Manager and Associate Director in the development and implementation of the Profit Centre Business Plans.
- Supervision and mentoring work of junior members of staff where delegated by the Line Manager, ensuring work is carried out in line with required quality standards.
- Any other duties reasonably required of the post-holder following consultation.
- Be enthusiastic, proactive, flexible and adaptive in the pursuit of achieving the planned team goals and targets and change requirements.
- Able to influence and collaborate with other team members.
- Provide others in the team with a clear sense of purpose and direction, stimulating a productive team climate where members participate and feel involved.
- Puts case across with impact and conviction whilst presenting facts clearly and logically.
- Provide feedback and encourage others to contribute ideas and opinions.
- Able to maintain a balance between driving people and releasing their own potential.
- Project a strong sense of confidence in ability to handle difficult situations and achieve results.
- Displays persistence, determination and energy in overcoming obstacles.
- Full understanding of business activities/ relationships across the Market Sector and wider Frankham and promote the Company brand and views.
- Able to influence and support in commercial policies by understanding gross margin performance needs and be able to read and understand contracts.
- Ability to put together and deliver logical and influential PowerPoint presentations.
- Confident and professional communication with both external and internal customers.
- Effective working relationship with all levels and disciplines both within the Business and wider Group.
- Appointment and control of sub consultants when required.
- Keeping in touch with Professional Institutions regarding the qualifications and professional competence requirements of technical staff.
Qualifications and Training
- Desirable – Professional qualification chartered.
- Desirable – Post Graduate qualification
- Essential – 5 years plus experience working in a professional services environment
Benefits & Initiatives
Frankham offers excellent benefits and initiatives, including:
- Home/office working policy.
- Flexible working policy.
- Annual leave – sell, buy & carry-over policies.
- Health Shield cash plan.
- Long service award.
- Incentive scheme.
- Frankham Friday.
- Cycle-to-work scheme.
- Life assurance.
- Annual season ticket loan.
- Generous maternity & paternity pay.