We are currently looking for an enthusiastic and confident Rail Compliance Manager to join our Civil Engineering team.
Frankham Group is a multi-disciplinary construction consultancy with 40 years of experience, providing a full range of design, engineering and consultancy services to the built environment.
When you join Frankham we will help you develop your know-how and apply your skills so that you achieve your full potential. Our investment in training and your professional development, combined with the support and coaching from Frankham team members will help you learn and grow.
Our people are practical, friendly and are passionate about what they do. We believe in enjoying our work, going beyond expectations, and having fun in doing so.
Our belief is simple: use intelligent ideas to create human benefits.
- Drive the culture of the company through the team and deliver the company values: Frankham Spirit
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Impeccable Service
- Respect and Integrity
- To ensure the company policies and processes comply with the requirements of RISQS and that staff are complying with them.
- They will also ensure that these processes are maintained, efficient and effective and communicated in an engaging way to ensure the yearly RISQS Audits is passed with limited impact on the fee earning activities of the business.
- The role will assess, improve and manage the company’s RISQS management system policies and associated processes and forms. These will cover all rail compliance activities and will cover all teams working in the rail markets and the associated support functions.
- To ensure the company policies and processes comply with the requirements of ISO45001, and that staff are complying with them.
- They will also ensure that these processes are maintained, efficient and effective and communicated in an engaging way to ensure the scheduled ISO45001 Audits is passed with limited impact on the fee earning activities of the business.
- The role will assess, improve and manage the company’s overarching Health & Safety management system (policies and associated processes and forms). These will cover all Health & Safety compliance activities and will cover all teams working in all markets and the associated support functions.
Key Skills and Tasks
- Understand the Rail Management System, Rail Group Standards, LU and Network Rail standards, and continuously improve, and maintain local records and processes to comply with the client requirements across the rail market including TOCS, NR, LUL and any successors such as GBR. Provide adequate time for implementing changes to the Management System.
- Be responsible for ensuring Sentinel Scheme Rules are adhered to at all times. Mentor and train staff within the rail environment.
- Ensure the Sentinel co-ordinator complete their role such as ensuring Contracts of Sponsorship are issued to Sentinel sponsored staff.
- Ensure that all staff with a PTS competency or above receives pre-employment medical and drugs and alcohol tests and anyone on Learning Support is mentored prior to allowing the use of a white helmet instead of blue, on site.
- Co-ordinate random drugs and alcohol tests for those persons identified as working in Rail. Ensure RISQS approved suppliers are used.
- Ensure that staff who hold IWA competency or above receive competence assessments to the required frequency. Ensure competent registered assessors are used.
- Ensure that the Rail Manager is made aware of all accidents, incidents and cases of work related ill health.
- Ensure new staff receive appropriate RISQS induction and documentation prior to commencing work and that relevant documents are returned and filed.
- Manage the RISQS audit programme to ensure that system audits and site audits are carried out and that records are filed as appropriate.
Overarching Health & Safety
- Understand the Health & Safety Management System, ISO45001 Standards and Health & Safety legislation and regulations and continuously improve, and maintain local records and processes to comply with the ISO45001 requirements. Provide adequate time for implementing changes to the Management System.
- Ensure that all staff have appropriate knowledge and training in the company’s Health & Safety Management System
- Ensure new staff receive appropriate Health & Safety induction and documentation prior to commencing work and that relevant documents are returned and filed.
- Ensure that all staff have completed a PPE register and that this is kept up to date.
- Manage the process of obtaining and distributing PPE as necessary.
- Devise and lead approach to ensure that Health & Safety related equipment (e.g. ladders and harnesses) is maintained and inspected and actions completed in line with UK legislation and regulations and company policy and procedures. This could include getting appropriately trained to perform certain checks themselves.
- Manage a Health & Safety training programme to ensure that all staff received appropriate Health & Safety training appropriate to their role and activities
- Manage the ISO45001 audit programme to ensure that system audits and site audits are carried out and that records are filed as appropriate.
- Reviewing processes and continuous improvement plans including technology and innovation.
- Ensure that management is made aware of all accidents, incidents and cases of work-related ill health.
- Ensure fatigue is managed for all staff undertaking shift work and that they receive the required health surveillance.
- Assist in activities for bids and marketing to ensure the most is made of RISQS and ISO45001 accreditation.
- Advise the business on legal, technical and assurance aspects where it relates to Rail and RISQS and general Health & Safety and the relevant industry standards and legislation.
- Ensure RISQS standards are regularly reviewed and standards changes are evaluated and distributed to rail staff.
- Ensure General Health & Safety standards are regularly reviewed and standards changes are evaluated and distributed to rail staff.
- Undertake internal Audits to ensure compliance with RISWS and general Health & Safety processes and systems in place.
- Act as a “Responsible Manager” for staff working shifts as required.
- Manage direct staff but also manage staff and teams that are not directly line managed by you and influence the higher management in the business to achieve the required results.
- Report on Compliance updates on a monthly basis to the wider team.
- Lead by example and hold and manage RISQS and Health & Safety working group meetings and ensure engagement of staff throughout the business in following processes and maintaining high standards of safety and performance.
- Lead the business to ensure the yearly RISQS Audit is passed in a comprehensive way and ensure you lead this process, reducing impact on fee earning staff to minimize the cost to the business.
- Lead the business to ensure the ISO45001 Audits are passed in a comprehensive way and ensure you lead this process, reducing impact on fee earning staff to minimize the cost to the business.
- Build trust and relationships with the sales/delivery teams, and cross functional relationships across the Group, to ensure an aligned and collaborative approach.
- Ensure Audits and change programs are planned to successfully complete them and to minimise the impact on fee earning staff and the commercial aspects of the business.
- Ensure PPE, PTS, Other training and testing is procured, completed and issued in a timely manner to comply with the standards and processes.
- Develop a programme of audits with all rail and non rail teams throughout the year and undertake site audits to ensure processes, RAMS, WPP and risk assessments are being followed.
- Be enthusiastic, proactive, flexible, and adaptive in the pursuit of achieving the planned team goals and targets and change requirements. A good team player.
- Able to influence and collaborate with others.
- Puts your case across with impact and conviction whilst presenting facts clearly and logically.
- Provide feedback and encourage others to contribute ideas and opinions.
- Able to maintain a balance between driving people and releasing their own potential.
- Project a strong sense of confidence in ability to handle difficult situations and achieve results.
- Displays persistence, determination, and energy in overcoming obstacles.
- Develop an understanding of business activities/ relationships across the market sector and wider Frankham and promote the company brand and views.
- Able to influence and support the team’s commercial policies by understanding gross margin performance needs and be able to read and understand contracts.
- Ability to put together and deliver logical and influential PowerPoint presentations to clients and internal staff if requested.
- Ensure all work activity complies with company health and safety procedures legislation and good practice.
- Adhere to the Frankham Strategy, Values and Vision
Experience and Qualifications
- Essential – NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health, or equivalent.
- Essential – Technical member of IOSH and/or associate member of IIRSM.
- Essential – Thorough knowledge of management systems (ISO9001, ISO14001, ISO45001) and more importantly RISQS.
- Essential – PTS holder, or the ability to achieve within six months of obtaining the role.
- Essential – Basic understanding of Microsoft Windows and Office packages. Ability to provide detailed reports, spreadsheets and presentations.
- Desirable – Assessor Competency such as ACWE
- Desirable – NEBOSH Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health, or equivalent.
- Desirable – Graduate member of IOSH and/or full membership of IIRSM, working towards chartered status within IOSH (CMIOSH).
- Desirable – Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Office packages, including Project, Visio and Publisher.
- Desirable – “Responsible Manager” Competency to NR Standards
- Essential – Full, clean driving licence.
Benefits & Initiatives
Frankham offer excellent benefits and initiatives, including:
- Flexible working scheme.
- Health Shield healthcare benefit.
- Long service award.
- Incentive scheme.
- Frankham Friday.
- Cycle-to-work scheme.
- Life assurance.
- Annual leave inc. sell, buy & carry-over policies.
- Annual season ticket loan.
- Enhanced maternity & paternity pay.