We are seeking an enthusiastic graduate to join our CDM team where they will receive training to set them on the path of delivering the Principal Designer role under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015.
At Frankham, you’ll find yourself working as part of a young, growing and enthusiastic team. In this role you will be providing advice to CDM duty holders and will work towards carrying out the role of Principal Designer where you will be offering advice on the safe design, use and maintenance of buildings.
As a graduate applicant you will be provided with a mentor who will help you to become a fully fledged Principal Designer. They will direct you to training courses, external CPD and personal research which you will be expected to take responsibility for. You will benefit from input from all members of the team start the role by shadowing various members until you are ready to work more independently. No prior knowledge of CDM2015 is required, although it is desirable.
As part of your package we will include and support you through the NEBOSH certificate – an essential and widely recognised health and safety qualification. Further training can be provided as part of the package on agreement at appointment.
Frankham Group is a multi-disciplinary consulting company with 40 years of experience, providing a full range of design and consultancy services to the built environment.
At Frankham, we have a dedicated and knowledgeable team of industry experts, all with diverse abilities, striving to provide high quality solutions to all our clients. The company strives to improve the surroundings in which we all live and work.
Our belief is simple: use intelligent ideas to create human benefits.
Main Purpose of Job Role
- Co-ordinate multiple projects at once to ensure they satisfy CDM2015
- Liaise with Clients and other duty holders
- Attend design team meetings and progress meetings both virtually and in person
- Monitor progress of projects and work proactively to ensure duties are complied with
- Attend site to review procedures and processes
- Produce accurate and detailed reports following site visits
- Pragmatic problem-solving balancing Client needs with requirements of legislation
- Production of documents required of Principal Designer under CDM2015 including Pre-Construction Information, Design Risk Registers and Health and Safety File
- Production of F10 notification to HSE
- Review of Construction Phase Plans
- Co-ordinate and chair design risk reviews
- Ensure designs are in keeping with health and safety legislation, particularly Principals of Prevention
- Update internal tracker with latest job developments
- Influence design team to adopt safe design and safe methods of construction
- Approach each project with the intention to design out risk as far as is reasonably practicable
- Keep an audit trail of decisions as evidence of discussions held around design
- Review access and maintenance strategies and ensure they correspond with expected procedures
- Request and gather information as necessary from the duty holders
- Correspond professionally at all times, using formal letters where required
- Contribute to internal CPD workshops and discussion groups
Key Skills and Tasks
- Work collaboratively with the internal team to deliver varying workloads, picking up and sharing out work where needed
- Willingly share ideas and best practice, and ask for guidance from the team where required
- Work professionally within the external project team, providing advice and guidance wherever possible
- Represent Frankham in a professional and helpful manner at all times
- Good interpersonal and influential skills with an understanding of limitations and a willingness to seek help when needed
- Ambition and desire to progress within an organisation
- Review designs to identify potential health and safety issues in construction and use
- Problem-solve to minimise and control health and safety risks
- Record control measures accurately
- Pro-actively seek updates on designs
- Prioritise workload
- Enthusiastic with a desire to learn
- Willing to attempt new challenges
- Team player
- Able to work independently
- Working knowledge of Excel, Word and other Microsoft programmes
- Health and safety knowledge expected although extent is negotiable and will be reflected in salary
- Understanding of CDM2015 and other relevant legislation (desirable)
- Experience of construction industry (desirable)
Key Attitudes, Behaviours and Qualifications
- Be enthusiastic, proactive, flexible and adaptive to deliver projects on time and to standard
- Prioritise changing workload to ensure deadlines are met
- Professional and approachable whilst being able to influence key duty holders
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Able to assert yourself within new groups of people
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail in written reports
- Willingness to learn and ask questions as needed
- Some prior experience or knowledge of health and safety and construction required (no design qualification required)
Benefits & Initiatives
Frankham offer excellent benefits and initiatives, including:
- Training relevant to the role.
- Flexible working scheme.
- SimplyHealth healthcare benefit.
- Long service award.
- Bonus scheme.
- Frankham Friday.
- Cycle-to-work scheme.
- Life assurance.
- Annual leave inc. sell, buy & carry-over policies.
- Annual season ticket loan.
- Generous maternity & paternity pay.