We are looking for a Commercial Controller to proactively champion and monitor the performance by the Profit Centre team of commercial and financial administrative tasks in compliance with Company policy and procedures.
- With the delegated authority of the Profit Centre Manager, to direct the Project Teams to comply with Company Policy and Procedures on Commercial and Financial Matters.
- To work with the Project and Profit Centre Teams and Profit Centre Manager to improve compliance with existing Company Commercial and Financial policies and procedures.
- To perform identified commercial and financial administrative tasks as delegated by profit centre management and executive management, on behalf of the Profit Centre.
- To support the Profit Centre Manager in collating and preparing commercial and financial information used to manage the Profit Centre and report on current and predicted performance.
- Work with the Company’s Finance Team and Group Commercial Director to play a lead role within the Profit Centre in ensuring Profit Centre teams have the required Workbench training and Commercial information and knowledge to work productively.
- To support the improvement in commercial and financial management of Projects and Profit Centres, by engaging in the development of improved policies and procedures.
Compliance Management Role:
Monitor, direct and work with the Project Teams to ensure that the following tasks are performed in a timely manner and in accordance with Company policies and procedures by the Project Lead and/or Profit Centre team:
During Project Bid:
- FCG Bid has been correctly filed by Bid Team.
During Project Initiation/Set Up:
- Ensure that the file structure is correctly set up from the outset.
- Ensure that the fee bid information and briefing pack is communicated to the Project Lead and has been filed correctly.
- Set up Project Emails link with Mail Manager protocol.
- FCG Project Lead has obtained written agreed instruction, brief, price and payment schedule and signed written contract/terms and conditions with the Client that is filed correctly.
- FCG Project Lead has a cost budget for delivery and target gross profitability (to be discussed and agreed by Project Lead with PCM).
- Project has been correctly set up on Workbench. (Initial project set up by Marketing to be converted and multi-discipline (if applicable) sub-jobs set up.
- FCG Project Lead has agreed written brief and price and payment schedule and signed written contract/terms and conditions with any supply chain used on a Project.
- FCG Project Lead has obtained a valid Purchase Order from the Client and that this is filed correctly.
During Project Delivery:
- Project Lead initiates preparation of and issuing of invoices in accordance with the Revenue Forecast on Workbench, at the earliest opportunity within each month. I.e. invoices that can be raised during the month, are not left until the end of the month.
- Project Lead raises Credit Notes that are first reviewed and approved by the Profit Centre Manager before being implemented.
- Profit Centre Team complete timesheets in a timely and correct manner, which are reviewed and approved by the relevant Manager, in accordance with Company Policy and Procedure.
- Profit Centre Manager and Team Leaders have access to information on, and review team timesheet completion and productivity on a regular basis.
- Project Profit performance is proactively monitored and managed by the Project Lead and Project Team. Project Lead and Team is supplied with Project Profit information on a regular basis that is discussed and actioned on a regular basis.
- Project Lead and Team assist in the performance of the Client Pledge and recovery of Debt, in accordance with Company Policy and where appropriate e.g. to resolve technical/delivery issues that are holding up payment.
- FCG Project Lead proactively identifies, logs and manages to Client agreement any Change Controls on a Project, any resultant changes to Fee and invoices accordingly. Project revenue forecast and budgets are maintained to incorporate any agreed change controls/variations to FCG’s Fee.
- Project data is maintained/up to date on Workbench.
- Project Lead requests and obtains variations to Purchase Orders as required during Project Delivery.
During Project Close Out:
- Project Lead manages commercial and financial close out of the Project.
Commercial/Financial Administrative Role:
Perform the following administrative tasks as delegated by the Profit Centre Manager.
During Project Initiation/Set Up:
- Where directed by Profit Centre Manger, liaise with Client on obtaining Project Purchase Order.
File the draft Contract documents, based on information supplied by the Project Lead, for issue to client for agreement; managing the distribution and filing of comments/versions within the Profit Centre team; liaising with Company Contract Administration team to organise for final agreed contracts to be signed by both parties and returned and filed.
- Set up the Project on Workbench, (inc multi-disc if Profit Centre Team is the Project Lead) and communicate set up to the Project Team.
- Set up the Project on Workbench Revenue Forecast and communicating this to relevant members of the Project Team.
- Raise and issue Purchase Orders for Third Party Supply Chain in accordance with Company policies and procedures.
During Project Delivery:
- Maintain the Revenue Forecast on a Project as directed by the Profit Centre Manager and notify the Project team members as to any change.
- Update Projects on Workbench to reflect changes as directed by the Project Lead.
- Create and draft and issue invoices on a Project as directed by the Profit Centre Team and obtaining Profit Centre Manager approval.
- Draft Credit Notes on a Project as directed by the Project Lead and obtaining Profit Centre Manager approval.
- Organise payment of Company Internal Transfers as directed by the Profit Centre Team in accordance with fee splits and revenue forecast. Advice the team of any variance as required.
- Perform the Client Pledge on issued Invoices.
- Review completion of timesheets by Profit Centre Team and reporting to Profit Centre Manager on compliance.
- Organise the approval of by the Project Lead, and the subsequent payment of, Supply Chain invoices.
During Project Close Out:
- Close and finalise a job on Workbench in accordance with Company Policy and Procedures.
Profit Centre Management Information:
- Prepare and maintain the Profit Centre Review Profit and Loss Spreadsheets for the Profit Centre Manager. (Overall responsibility remains with Profit Centre Manager.)
- Prepare and maintain the Profit Centre Sub-Consultant Spreadsheets for the Profit
- Centre Manager.
- Prepare and maintain the Profit Centre Sales Pipeline Spreadsheets for the Profit Centre
- All fee bids issued are to be sent for incorporation on a weekly basis, overall
- responsibility remains with the Profit Centre Manager.
- Liaising with Group to organise for the registration of supply chain onto the Company’s
- Approved Supplier List.
Financial and Commercial Training and Development Role
- Work with Company Finance team and Group Commercial Director and other Commercial Controllers/Managers to develop and implement training and development programmes in Workbench, financial and commercial management of projects within Profit Centre Teams.
- Work with Profit Centre Management and Senior Management and other Commercial Controllers/Managers to develop and implement improvements to our financial and commercial management of projects within Profit Centre Teams and to harmonise and standardise approaches.
Key Attitudes and Behaviours
- Understands and supports relevant Commercial and Financial Policies and Procedures.
- Understands Workbench functionality and procedures across life cycle of a Project from Project Set Up, through Delivery and Close-Out.
- Organised and see value in organising information in a logical manner.
- Proactive communicator.
- Be enthusiastic, proactive, flexible and adaptive in driving forward increased compliance with Company Commercial and Financial Policy and Procedures within the Profit Centre Team.
- Able to influence and collaborate with members of the Profit Centre team, and other colleagues within the Company across all functions including Finance, HR, Marketing.
- Provide feedback and encourage others to contribute ideas and opinions to improve existing policies and procedures and levels of compliance.
- Projects a strong sense of confidence in ability to handle difficult situations and achieve results.
- Displays persistence, determination and energy in overcoming obstacles.
- Able to influence and support commercial policies by understanding gross margin performance needs and be able to have basic understanding of the structure of contracts.
Qualifications and Training
- Essential – Good understanding of cash flow process: invoicing, debt recovery, etc.
- Essential – Proficient in Workbench
- Essential – Proficient in Company’s Financial and Commercial Policy and Procedures.
- Essential – Numerate, confident working with numbers.
- Desirable – Good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Desirable – Working knowledge of the structure and content of Company Client and Supply Chain contracts.
- Desirable – Training people on Workbench functionality in conjunction with Finance team.
Frankham offer excellent benefits and initiatives, including:
- Flexible working policy.
- Annual leave – sell, buy & carry-over.
- Health Insurance – Health Shield cash plan.
- Long service award.
- Incentive scheme.
- Frankham Friday.
- Professional qualification support.
- Cycle-to-work scheme.
- Life assurance.
- Annual season ticket loan.
- Generous maternity & paternity pay.
- Long service awards.
About Frankham Group
Frankham Group is a multi-disciplinary consulting company with 40 years of experience, providing a full range of design and consultancy services to the built environment.
At Frankham, we have a dedicated and knowledgeable team of industry experts, all with diverse abilities, striving to provide high quality solutions to all our clients. The company strives to improve the surroundings in which we all live and work. Our belief is simple – use intelligent ideas to create human benefits. From environmentally sustainable buildings to individual commissions, our projects have one thing in common, they improve peoples’ lives.
Established for over 40 years, we are a top 50 multi-disciplinary consultancy. We provide a truly integrated capability, providing all professional disciplines and a range of specialist services from within. Using directly employed staff allows us to take a holistic view of all the elements of each individual service, and their impact on every stakeholder of every project.
Our vision is to become the leading privately owned consultancy in the South of England, differentiating ourselves from the large corporates, being a best place to work and a leader in the market in each of our disciplines/specialisms.